Arinjar Anna Zoological Park
This man-made zoological park is situated in the outskirts of the Chennai metropolitan. The forests are of dry deciduous and dry evergreen scrub types. It was in the year 1855 that the first zoo in India was established in Chennai. Later on in 1979 it was shifted to the 510 hectares of sprawling complex. This zoological park is said to be one of the biggest in South East Asia. The wild life population is exhibited in a large open moated island type enclosure with a simulated natural environment. More than 170 species of mammals, aviaries & reptiles are housed in this area. Lion safari vehicles, elephant rides, battery operated vehicles are some of the facilities available inside this park.
This park has a rainfall of about 1400 mm on an average. The nearest airport is Chennai (18 kms). The nearest railway station is Vandalur (1 km) and has a city bus terminal. This zoological park could be visited throughout the year and is a popular spot for the entire family.
Opened to the public in October 1940, the park, which was originally much smaller than it is today, was developed further after Ramayee Ammal, M. Nainappa Mudaliyar, V. Kumaraswamy Raja and Aravamadhu Iyengar donated a major portion of land adjacent to the park, in that same year.
The park at Luz corner, which remained neglected for more than a decade, was again developed a couple of years ago with the initiative of the elected Council that took charge at Ripon Building in 1996. The walkways, fountains and garden benches have also attracted filmmakers for whom this park is a preferred shoot location. New garden light fittings are an additional attraction for visitors.
The park that is open to the public on all days (from 7 a.m. onward) has a separate play area for children. The Corporation staff look after the maintainence of play equipment. The park has a well-maintained garden with varieties of trees like Lapostromea, Capsia Fistula and Tabulia and foliage trees like Pungam, Neem, Palms, Ficus Religeosa and Thespesia. Medicinal and Ornamental plants are also found here.
Dr. Natesan Park, in T.Nagar, attracts hundreds of visitors everyday.
The park, spread over 4 acres, with long walkways, fountains and garden lights, was opened to the public on September 13, 1950, by the then Minister of Agriculture, A.B.Shetty.
Situated in the heart of the city, the park has a variety of trees and plants. Crotons, aralias, bougainvilleas, acalypha, ceesil peniea, pulcharima, mahogany, neem and gulmohur.
Widely used by city residents for their morning and evening walks, it is the only park maintained by the Corporation that has a separate tennis court for coaching children. There is also a plant propagation centre and play zone for children.